Interesting, was testing the ability to post from a Google Doc to a blog. Seems to work, any good stuff to add to the list? Was just updating it for a friend who's visting.
1. Caracas Arepa Bar-Venezuelan corn cake sandwich things. Always a line, but well worth the wait. They have a restaurant and a separate take out area with seating nextdoor.
2 Congee Village-They got snail and frog congee for smereka's exotic food needs. Delicious jelly fish and other authentic chinese delicacies. Longish wait, horrifying tropic decor, but its full of chinese people.
3. Super Taste-Hand pulled Noodles, served out of metal mixing bowls. Last time I went, only me and my friend were women, everyone else was a chinese man eating alone. they didn't have any drinks either. just noodles out of the metal bowl.
4. Shake Shack-Danny Meyer's Burger heaven, everyone raves about it. Always a line in the summer, there's even a live camera so you can see how bad the line will be. Its outdoor seating with heat lamps only so don't go when its raining. There's an upper west side location now, but I've never been.
5. Indian galore-Curry hill, home of Kalustyans, worlds greatest spice store. I highly recommend going out of your way, just to go get spices.
Tiffin Wallah has both northern and southern indian specialties and Roomali has Kati rolls, more cafeteria style.
6. Pinche Taqueria-2.75 for each taco, authentic mexican style. convenient neighborhood for shopping in.
7. Ramen Bars (Rai Rai Ken, Minca, Ippudo)-there's a few in ny, they are pretty small, but i think we can find something to squeeze us in. all small, all good.
9. Artichoke Pizza-Specialty is a slice of artichoke pizza. no seats, this was all the rage a while ago. its like spinach dip on a pizza. no seating really, just a line and a take out place.
10. Dessert-Dessert Truck sits near nyu and opens at night until it runs out. desserttruck.com and there's also the chikalicious dessert bar that takes forever to get in and serves a tasting menu of dessert. but there's a take out area across the street that has a few cookies and cakes. http://www.chikalicious.com/
11. Brooklyn Flea-Pupusas and Huaraches. Out to the burbs for a flea market and some salvadorian food. they have local organic icecream and juice vendors too. (closed for winter)
12. Momofuku Milk Bar-I would never go to NY again without a visit here. David Chang empire, see note below, its a bakery with some standup counter space. Get the pork buns, get the banana cake. The crack pie is what its known for. they put random ingredients in each item, and it turns out amazing.